Currently, Instagram is one of the leading social media platforms. However, many researchers have shown that we spend most of our crucial time on social media platforms, including Instagram. If you find Instagram as a constant disturbance to your work or studies and decided to never look back on it or for whatever reasons, you can easily delete your Instagram account. You can also temporarily deactivate your account if you want to take a break from Instagram.
Here we will guide through both procedures to delete and deactivate your Instagram account.
What happens when you delete your Instagram account
- All your information, including your profile, videos, photos, likes, followers, and comments, will be permanently deleted.
- Deleted account’s username won’t be available for another account.
- After 30 days of your account deletion, all your information will get permanently removed.
- You cannot recover your account.
- Once you delete your account, it can take up to 90 days to delete everything you’ve posted on Instagram.
How to permanently delete your Instagram account
Note: You cannot delete your account using the Instagram app; you have to use a web browser.
- Visit the Instagram account closure page on your mobile or computer.
- Log in to your account if you haven’t already.
- Select a reason for deleting your account from the dropdown menu.
- Type in your password and click on Permanently delete my account button.
How to deactivate your Instagram account
Deactivating your Instagram account will hide all your information on Instagram, including your account, profile, photo/videos, comments, and likes will be hidden until you reactivate it. Follow these steps on your phone’s or desktop’s web browser to disable your Instagram account.
Note: You cannot deactivate your account using the Instagram app.
- Visit instagram.com and log in to your account.
- Click or tap on your profile icon. On mobile, it’s at the bottom right corner, and on desktop, it’s at the upper right corner.
- Click or tap on Edit Profile.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click/tap Temporarily disable my account.
- Select a reason for deactivating your account from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your password and click or tap on the Temporarily Disable Account button.
Your Instagram is deactivated. If you want to reactivate in the future, simply log in to your account.