Telegram is one of the most secure and fast messaging apps with an end-to-end encryption system. It includes various interesting features like file/media sharing up to 2GB, phone calls, the recently introduced video call, and more. However, if you are using multiple messaging apps concurrently and have decided to leave Telegram, we’ve got your back. Closing a Telegram is a straightforward process as you don’t have to go through the app’s settings.
Note: Closing your Telegram account is permanent.
How to close your Telegram account?
There are two methods to close your Telegram, i.e., going directly to the account closure page and deleting by Adjusting Self-Destruction Settings. You can use this method either from your desktop computer or mobile device the steps are similar.
Through the account closure page
- Visit the Telegram Account Closure Page.
- Type in your phone number along with your country code and click Next. For example: if you are living in Nepal, enter +977 in front of your mobile number.
- Enter the confirmation code sent to your Telegram App and click Sign In. You won’t receive the code through SMS.
- On the next page, click Delete account.
- If you want to provide the reason for closing your account, type in on the “Why are you leaving?” field and click Delete My Account. As it’s optional, you can also click Delete My Account directly.
- A popup window will appear, select Yes, delete my account to confirm.
By adjusting Self-Destruction settings
The self-destruction feature of Telegram is useful when you want to deactivate your account. In case you change your mind and want to restore your account again, you can log in within the time of 6 months. If the account is inactive even after 6 months, it will get permanently deleted. The default self-destruct period is six months of inactivity, but you can change this to a shorter period of time, as follows:
- Open your Telegram app on your device.
- Log in to your Telegram account on your device and select Settings.
- Click on Privacy and Security.
- Then, scroll down to Delete My Account if I’m Away For and change to 1 month or 6 months as you prefer.
- If you do not restore your Telegram, after the certain period you’ve chosen is up, your account will be deleted, along with all your conversations and contacts.
Adjusting the self-destruct settings gives you an additional option to change your mind within the period of inactivity. Simply use the chat app and the self-destruct period will reset. If you don’t want to wait and you want to delete your Telegram account immediately, you can follow the first method above.
What happens when you delete your Telegram account?
After you delete your Telegram account:
- All your data, including chats and contacts, will be deleted.
- If you’ve created any groups or channels, they will remain without a creator, but admins will still hold their rights.