WeChat is a widely used messaging app that serves various purposes like social media and mobile payment and has over a billion active monthly users, mostly from China. It’s also known as the “App for everything” in China. However, if you live in other countries besides China, you may have noticed that WeChat is not as popular as other messaging apps, meaning fewer users and friends on WeChat.
If you are one of those few WeChat users in your country and want to delete your WeChat account, we’ve got your back. In the past, it was a hassle to delete your WeChat account, but Wechat has made it easier and quicker. Here’s how to do it.
Note: Deleting your WeChat account is permanent and cannot be recovered.
How to delete my WeChat account
- Open WeChat on your phone.
- Tap Me at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Tap on Settings.
- Select Account Security at the top.
- Tap WeChat Security Center.
- Choose the Account Cancellation option on the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap Request Cancellation.
- Tap Next at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on Agree and confirm cancellation at the bottom to finish your account closure.
What happens when you close your WeChat account
- All you WeChat information, including your profile, chat history, photos, and others, will be permanently deleted.
- You cannot recover your account once it’s closed.
- If you have been following any official WeChat accounts through your account, you will be unfollowing them.
- You won’t be able to use any Tencent or third-party services that were linked to your account.
If you need assistance, visit the WeChat Help Center Page.
Want to delete your Viber account too? Here’s our guide on How to delete Viber account.