Meetup is an online service for connecting people with similar tastes. Some of the features of Meetup are creating meetups, organizing meetups, making groups public/private, discussing events, sharing photos from events, sending email announcements, and many more. Many users still want to deactivate or permanently delete their Meetup account after having these fantastic features because of one or more reasons. However, if you are fed up with Meetup and want to switch to alternatives like Bylde, GroupSpaces, or others, you might want to close your account.
Instead of deletion, Meetup uses the word deactivation. It is possible to delete your account from the desktop version only. You cannot remove your account from the mobile app, and deleting your Meetup account is permanent. Deleting a Meetup account is quick and easy, but Meetup labels this procedure as permanent account deactivation.
Note: You cannot delete your Meetup account from the phone.
How to permanently deactivate your Meetup account?
- Go to meetup.com and log in to your account.
- Click on your profile in the upper right corner.
- Choose Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Deactivate your account.
- Enter your password and click on Submit to confirm.
How to delete your Meetup account created using Facebook, Google, or Apple ID?
Users who signed up on Meetup through Facebook, Google, or Apple ID have to set a password for their Meetup account before closing their account.
- Sign in to your account and go to the password reset page.
- Type in the registered email address.
- Click Submit.
After a while, you will receive an email with the instructions to create your password. Once done, you can now delete your account and follow the steps mentioned above.
Want to close your Tinder account? Check out our article, here.
How to create your Meetup password?
- Visit the password reset page. Make sure you are logged in to your account.
- Type in the email address you use for your Facebook, Google, or Apple ID.
- Now, click on Submit. Meetup will send an email with instructions to create your Meetup password.
Here is a video on how to delete a meetup account.
How to Cancel Meetup subscription?
You should remember to cancel your subscription before deleting your account. Meetup charges you monthly until you cancel it or turn off auto-renewal, which you can do whenever you want, according to its terms of service. When you cancel the subscription, it will remain active until the end of that billing period. You can cancel the Meetup subscription through a web browser or Meetup mobile app.
Through desktop and mobile web browser
- Visit the Meetup website on your web browser and sign in to your account.
- Go directly to your Organizer Subscription page.
- Click on Cancel subscription.
- On the next page, click on Cancel my subscription.
- Submit the request for cancelation.
Through the Meetup Android app
If you have the Meetup Android app, you can cancel your subscription there. Follow simple these instructions:
- Open the Meetup app from your device.
- Click on your Profile.
- Then, tap the menu icon or three dots.
- Select Account settings from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down and tap Organizer Subscription.
- Tap Cancel Subscription, then confirm by clicking Yes.
Through the Meetup iOS device
If you started your subscription from the iOS device, you can manage your subscription from the App Store to cancel auto-renewal.
- Open Settings on your iOS device.
- Tap on iTunes & App Store.
- Then, click on your Apple ID.
- Tap on the Subscriptions.
- Select Meetup.
- Scroll down to the Options and click on Unsubscribe.
Note: You can also use a desktop or laptop computer and click here to contact the Apple Store. After that log in using your Apple ID and follow the same steps as above.
What happens to my groups when I cancel my subscription?
When you cancel your subscription, it will enter a two-week grace period at the end of your billing cycle. During this time, you can step down and nominate a new organizer. When your grace period ends, you’ll be automatically stepped down as the organizer of your groups.
At the end of your subscription, your group’s leading members will be informed of your departure and invited to step up as the new organizer. After that, the invitation will be sent to all group members. Your group will stay active under its new organizer or, if no one volunteers, it will automatically close. You can also choose to step down and close your group permanently.