Twitter is one of the biggest social networking sites and has around 330 million users around the globe. However, Twitter is not for everyone’s taste and if you are one of them and you can leave Twitter easily. In this article, we guide you through the procedure of deleting your Twitter account.
But before that, there’s a lot of confusion going around the term deactivate and delete a Twitter account as they have the same procedure. Let’s clear it up when deleting your account you are actually deactivating it. Once your account deactivation duration reaches 30 days, your account gets permanently deleted. Logging in within the 30 days of your account deactivation will reactivate your account.
Things to know before deactivating/deleting your Twitter account
- Deactivating/reactivating your Twitter account won’t solve any problem like disappearing tweets, decreased followers, etc.
- You do not need to deactivate your account to change the username or email address associated with Twitter. You can change them from settings.
- Bing/Google may show your tweets as Twitter can’t remove items indexed in search engines.
- All your data associated with Twitter will be deleted.
- After 30 days of your account deactivation, your account gets permanently deleted. You can reactivate by logging in within the 30 days of your account deactivation.
- The same username of the deleted account won’t be available for another account. If so, you have to change your username before deleting the account.
How to permanently delete a Twitter account using web browser (Desktop)
- Visit twitter.com and log in to your account.
- Click on More at the left pane.
- Select Settings and privacy from the dropdown menu.
- Under the Account tab, click on Deactivate your account at the bottom of the page.
- Click on Deactivate at the bottom.
- Type in your password and click on the Deactivate button.
How to close a Twitter account on Android
- Open the Twitter app on your phone.
- Tap on the ≡ icon (menu) at the top left corner of your screen.
- Select Settings and privacy from the menu pane.
- Tap Account at the top.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on Deactivate your account.
- Tap Deactivate at the bottom.
- Enter your password and tap Deactivate.
- Select YES, DEACTIVATE to confirm.
How to delete Twitter account on iPhone/iPad
- Launch the Twitter app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top menu.
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Select Account and tap on Deactivate your account at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on Deactivate.
- Choose Yes, deactivate to confirm.