Messenger is one of the most used messaging apps but most of us don’t know that deactivating Facebook doesn’t deactivate Messenger. You have to disable it separately. If you think you should also take a break from Messenger alongside Facebook. Here’s how to do it.
Before moving on to the steps, make sure you have deactivated your Facebook account.
What happens when you deactivate your Messenger?
As soon as you disable your Facebook Messenger, your profile won’t appear in its search results. However, your messages and comments will still be visible. So, if you disable Facebook and Messenger, all the messages you sent will still be visible to others.
How to disable Messenger on Android?
- Open the Messenger app on your phone.
- Tap on your profile at the top left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap Legal & Policies.
- Now, tap on Deactivate Messenger.
- Tap on the Deactivate button.
How do I deactivate Messenger on iPhone or iPad?
- Launch the Messenger app on your device.
- Tap on your profile at the top left corner.
- Select Account Settings.
- Under Your Facebook Information, tap on Delete Your Account and Information.
- Now, tap on Deactivate.
- Type in your password.
- Tap Submit to finish.
Note: You can reactivate Messenger by simply logging into the Messenger app. Reactivating Messenger doesn’t reactivate your Facebook account.
How to deactivate Messenger using Messenger Lite?
- Launch the Messenger Lite app on your phone.
- Tap on the ⚙️ icon at the top right corner.
- Scroll down and tap Account Settings.
- Tap on Deactivation and Deletion and choose Deactivate Account.
- Tap Continue to Account Deactivation.
- Type in a reason for deactivating and tap Continue.
- Tap Deactivate My Account to confirm.
Your Facebook account will be disabled as you can not disable Messenger alone. If you cannot disable Messenger, make sure to deactivate your Facebook account first.
You can activate your messenger simply by logging back into your Facebook messenger with your username and password.